I am a big Planker. That is probably not a word, but absolutely one of my favorite exercises is the plank. The benefits are never ending, you can plank anywhere and we can all plank! Crunches are a thing of the past and if you have any low back problems, planks are safer.
Try to plank one minute a day and you will be amazed by the change in yourself. Start with 30 seconds and try to add 10 seconds as you can until you reach a minute. You will gain a stronger core, which includes your back, abs, hips and glutes. The abdominals will become hard and strong which you need to help support your back. You will also increase strength in your arms and shoulders.
These photos are planks on your forearms, which I like. You can plank on your hands as well.
Some important tips for form. These tips apply to the front and side forearm plank.
- Always keep your shoulders directly over your elbows.
- Keep your body in a straight line, from your head to your heels.
- Don’t let your bottom stick up too much, because it will be too easy.
- Don’t let your bottom, or belly, sink down toward the floor, by arching your back, this will make your back hurt.
- Try to pull your belly button toward your spine and keep your abs pulled in and tight.
- Keep your neck and shoulders relaxed and keep your shoulders away from your ears.
- Breathe the whole time!
- It should not be painful. If your back is hurting, lift your bottom slightly until it feels better.
As with any exercise, be sure you are cleared through your doctor and see a professional if you are unsure. See our disclaimer here.
Start planking every day. You will be amazed by what you feel!
Hi I’m Kelley. I thought I had it all figured out but I struggled to learn that feeling our best is about nurturing our WHOLE SELF, not just fitness, and not just good nutrition but more. Read my story.